Coronavirus  Covid-19

Open Source Ventilator

Check out this link...

How-fast-can-we-design-and-deploy-an-open-source-ventilator

I would actually like to start making a ventilator as soon as I can.
There is a lot of technical details I am not in a position to understand quickly.
I learn best doing something and working with what I have around me.

I hand drew up a design I think I could make in my shed (see below)
First I need to know if I have understood the concept correctly.
Then I need to fine tune the details.

I want to keep the main elements modular so as and when improvements are available they can be swapped out.

1) Variable air pump
2) Filters
3) Air temperature control
4) valves + oxygen mixing
5) Air pressure regulation
6) sensors
7) electronic controls

The simplest design I could think of that I could make was to use two bellows on a rocking frame.
The sketch shows how I imagine the bellows would hang and be driven using a stepper motor and belt drive.
I have built several off the shelf 3d printers using Arduino based electronics so it looks feasible.

I think keeping all the valves in a central box with the sensors will focus the complexity away from
other areas of the build. I need help with this and electronics.

It also occurs to me that this design (assuming it has merit) will be flexible in using the widest
available resources like: off the shelf components, wood, metal, plastic, glass, plumbing, motors, electronics, etc.

If someone can take the idea to the next level in design and specification so I could build one;
Or direct me to a viable alternative design I would be very grateful.

Thank you :-)









Comments

Popular posts from this blog